Thursday, May 10, 2012

Ah, 'tis the rose

  
If I had a rose for every time I thought
 of you, I'd be picking roses for a lifetime.

 The rose, in all its graceful and mellow, or electric and startling colors can be a burden if you don't enjoy getting your hands dirty. But it's only work when you'd rather be doing something else. In the scorching days of summer, I tend roses like some people tend their children.


For a list of all the different meanings of the different colors of roses, click here.  For more information about roses, check with the American Rose Society.

Roses are a hobby, and I tend about 10 bushes of mostly hybrid tea roses, which are generally the largest flowered, most common. The grandiflora and floribunda are loaded with more blossoms and therefore more color, but flowers aren't as big. The low-care bush roses are becoming quite popular because they don't require constant 'supervision' and a watchful eye for bugs and disease.

The photos above are of a Mr. Lincoln, right, a Pristine in the center, and an unknown grandiflora at left.

I'd rather have roses on my table
 than diamonds on my neck.



No comments:

Post a Comment