Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Snow tire rant brings positive results

In the interest of fairness, I add this addendum to a January 4 blog post about a Tire Guy that put snow tires on the back of my front wheel drive vehicle. I could only afford two and Tire Guy didn't say he wasn't allowed to put them on the front. The capsule version is that I was ticked off and felt robbed of $200.

A copy of that blog was sent to the consumer relations department, and the next day, I received a phone call from Tire Guy.  He wanted to "make things right" for me, he said, and asked what it would take.

Well, I had to buy two snow tires that I didn't need for $200. Snows on the back of a front-wheel drive vehicle are useless in getting up a hill.  I had to buy two more--for the front-- while I was in Cleveland to be safe and mobile in deep snow.  I didn't need the back snows, would have rather had new brakes, but that's not going to happen now.

And I wouldn't expect Tire Guy to take back tires that  I had driven for about 1,000 miles.  Seems nothing could be done, I said.

Ten minutes later, got another call from Tire Guy. He talked with his regional manager, and I will have the $200 refunded to me.  Great, I say, I'll bring in my old tires to be remounted on the back and I'm happy.

Nope.  I was refunded the entire amount for two tires, and kept ALL the tires. 

"But that's not fair to you," I say. "Let me bring the old tires in, and at least you can sell them used or something."

Tire Guy rejected that idea. "No, you keep them all, because if I take back two tires, they'd be from the front, and we'd be back to where we started."

I'm still scratching my head. His shop is still convinced that having snow tires on the back of a front wheel drive car would help me get up a hill in snow.

I must be missing something.  But I'm smiling.



No comments:

Post a Comment